For Share-a-Story Month we're inviting children to get creative and enter our design competition!
May 2017 is National Share-a-Story Month, organised by the Federation of Children’s Book Groups. The theme this year is ''Picture a Story'and this national initiative has several aims; to celebrate the power of illustrations - particularly in picture books, to encourage children of all ages to have a go at illustrating, and of course to enjoy a month long celebration of story sharing with families and friends. So why not combine your child’s love of all things digital, with this fantastic literary occasion.
Digiduck’s Big Decision is Childnet’s first picture book and is still one of our most popular resources. Digiduck receives a picture, anonymously online, of one of his closest friends but it’s been changed to make it look funny. Without spoiling the end for you, Digiduck is given the opportunity to look into the future, and see what will happen if he shares the photo online… He then has an important decision to make!
Digiduck’s Big Decision has been brought to life by beautiful illustrations from Ciara Flood, but now it’s over to YOU! After reading the story, either at home or at school, we’re giving you until the end of May to illustrate your own front cover for Digiduck’s Big Decision.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Read Digiduck’s Big Decision and decide how your front cover will best reflect the story. E.g. decide which characters will be on the cover, and what part of the story would make an eye catching illustration for new readers. You will need to include the book’s title as part of your design.
- Either hand draw your entry or create it digitally e.g. in MS Paint, or equivalent programme. Hand drawn entries (after scanning) and digital pictures must be saved as a JPEG, PNG or PDF, before being emailed to ensure that we can open them.
- Your illustration MUST be completely original! Please do not use any photos or images found online, or any illustrations from the story.
- For each entry that is submitted, please provide the child’s first name, age, and a parent or teacher’s contact email address.
- Email your entries to Lindsay@childnet.com and a winner will be selected during half term.
The competition closes on Wednesday 31 May.
Winning entries will receive a signed copy of Digiduck’s Big Decision, and their front cover will be displayed on Childnet’s website and shared on our social media platforms too.