Top Tips for Filmmaking
- Brainstorm – Think about the purpose of your story and what you want to say.
- Plan – Decide the style and genre of your film. Will it be a drama, documentary, animation, commercial or music video? Decide what equipment you will use to shoot your film.
- Plot – What’s your story going to be about? Prepare your script, storyboard or improvisation.
- People – Who’s going to be in your film? Who will your actors be? Who will you interview for your documentary and what models could you make if choosing to use animation?
- Film – Get creative but always remember to frame your shots and record any audio clearly. Always watch back and listen to what you’ve just shot in case you need to re-shoot! Try using a mix of wide, medium and close up shots to make it more interesting.
- Edit – Piece together your film and keep within the competition time frame. Make sure your story is clear with its message. If using music, beware of copyright law!
- Send it in - Make sure your masterpiece is sent in by your teacher or youth leader and reaches us by Friday 12th June 2015 either by DVD/ USB or electronically.
Jude's Top Tips on Animation
Jude has been a finalist in Childnet's Film Competition for the last two years, and he is a fantastic filmmaker. His films 'Teen Talk' and 'The Internet Wizard' really show off his talented animation skills. This year we are fortunate because he has shared his wisdom with us through a film. Make sure you watch it before you start making your film!
Top Tips for Teachers
Intofilm have a great film that guides you through the filming process. Whatever device your students choose to use, the rules are the same. This short film shows you how to frame your shots properly, explains the concept of wide, medium and close up shots and how to get the most out of your short film. Follow this link to access the film www.intofilm.org/festival/filmmaking
If your students decide to film using a mobile phone, then there’s a really helpful little demonstration on vimeo. Again it talks you step by step through the process on how to achieve the best results possible. Follow the link to watch it www.vimeo.com/37243577