We take your privacy seriously, and we promise we will only use your personal information in these ways.
We will protect your privacy on the Childnet Digital Leaders platform
We will keep your personal information safe. This platform will only display a limited amount of personal information (First name, first initial of your Last name, School) and we will not make your email address public.
You will upload your own profile photo and we will not use your profile picture in other ways.
The website automatically collects information about how users are accessing the site (including what badges they achieve and what activities they have completed). We will only share this kind of information to talk about statistics across a big group of young people; we will never share information on an individual. Your teacher will be able to see statistics about individuals in your team.
We will protect your privacy when we share things outside this platform
When your school subscribes to the programme, we will ask for optional Media Consent from you and from your parents. This gives permission for us to use photographs and images of you, and for us to securely store these for future use. If you and/or your parents do not consent to Childnet using images of you, this does not affect you being on the programme
We will ask your permission to share anything outside of the platform, that you have posted on the Digital Leaders platform, as we recognise that you may not have explicitly given consent for it to be shared more widely.
We use images in a range of materials to promote Childnet as a whole and also to illustrate particular areas of our work like the Childnet Digital Leaders Programme. This includes (but is not limited to) publicity materials such as leaflets, brochures and posters, newspapers, magazine articles, television programmes, social media and publications for the internet.
- We will ask for your permission before posting anything outside this platform that might identify you. For example, if you make a really amazing video and you feature in it, we will check with you to make sure you are happy for us to share it on our website or social media.
- We will never fully identify you in conjunction with an image or video. We may use partial information such as first name and school.
- We may use quotes that you have shared in your training, in the community, or in any evaluation, but we will only share this anonymously, or we will ask for your permission to quote it directly from you.
We will remove any/all of your data if you request us to
Photos and Videos
At any time, you can make a request for us to stop using an image/video that includes you, or to remove all of the data that we have about you.
Online photographs will be removed immediately and printed or published footage will be removed for subsequent print runs and editions.
You can also request for us to remove all of the data we have about you, however this might affect your participation as a Digital Leader on the programme.
You can send this request to [email protected] and it can come from you or a parent/carer.
After you have left the programme
We will securely store your personal information, which includes the parental and media consent form for up to 3 years (including name, email and website data) and then we will delete it all. We may use images or videos of you during that time (that we have permission to use) but as mentioned above, you do have the right to request that we stop using these at any time.
We will keep some aggregate data (for example, evaluation statistics for the year you were in the programme) but no personal information.
- Don’t share your personal information – for example, your full name, email addresses, social media profiles or phone number
- Don’t post any personal information about others – and this includes sharing photos or videos without asking permission from that person first
- Don’t share your username and password with friends or post these details online for others to see. Your account is for you and you alone
- Do not copy things from this platform and share somewhere else – if you would like to include something (for example a screenshot of you as the top of the Leaderboard!) then please ask for permission first. Do not include anything that might reveal any personal information.
- If in doubt, check with us!
Being on the platform
For security purposes we do collect some personal information about you, for example your IP address. This is so that we can block someone if they try and get into our site.
Whilst using the Digital Leaders Platform we collect anonymous information about your browsing session to help us improve our website. We are committed to ensuring that this information is collected, stored and used in an ethical way which observes UK data protection legislation.
We use a tool called Google Analytics to collect this data. All of the data is stored securely on Google’s servers. In order to track your browsing across sessions, Google analytics will place a ‘cookie’ on your machine (a small text file that websites use to track and remember information across several browsing sessions). You can tell your web browser not to accept cookies if you don’t your data to be collected in this way (refer to your web browser’s help file for more information).
The kind of data we collect includes the pages that you visit on the Digital Leaders platform, the number of times that you visit them, your operating system, your screen resolution, the version of your web browser and the country you’re visiting from.
This data helps us:
- To plan for future site developments
- To identify any technical issues such as when users login to the site
- To gauge the success of our competitions and modules
- To identify periods of heavy site usage, to help forecast when is best to perform maintenance work on our server
If you are able to access the Community, please bear in mind that the content you post will be seen by everyone on the platform (unless we need to remove it – please see our Community rules).
How do we share your information with other companies or organisations?
We do not provide any personal information to third parties for commercial purposes, so we will never rent or sell your personal information to other organisations.
If you have given us permission to contact you, we pass on your details to third party companies and/or individuals to perform certain functions on our behalf. The third parties that we work with in order to carry out certain administrative functions are the following companies:
If any third party requires access to your personal information then we will make sure that:
- the third party agrees to use it only for the agreed function(s) and not for any other purposes
We may also share your personal information with a third party if:
- it is required or authorised to do so by law or for child protection purposes
- we have your consent to do so