Instagram have launched new features in their latest update on the app. These features include ways for users to have more control over comments on their posts, and a new feature within stories where users can ‘Challenge’ each other. This blog takes a closer look at these new features.
More control over comments
The latest Instagram update involves giving users more control over comments on their Instagram posts. This new update includes:
- The ability to delete multiple comments from a post at once.
- The ability to allow only your followers to comment on your posts.
- The ability to turn off commenting altogether.
Find out more about these features.
New ‘Challenge’ feature
Instagram have introduced a new ‘Challenge’ feature, which allows users to take part in a variety of fun challenges, such as the #stayathomechallenge or the #babypicturechallenge.
What are Instagram stories?
Stories are a feature on Instagram where users can add an image or video to their story. These are different from normal Instagram posts as they can only be viewed for 24 hours before they disappear.
How to take part in a challenge on stories
A challenge can be added once you have taken a photo or video that you want to share on your story. This is done by selecting the challenge sticker from the stickers tab.
You can start typing a challenge that you are already aware of into the provided space. Alternatively, you can have a look through Instagram’s list of challenges, which is displayed at the bottom of the page. For example, you may want to show your dedication to staying at home during the current pandemic by taking part in the #stayathomechallenge.
You can also tap on a friend’s challenge sticker that they have already posted in their story to instantly take part. After selecting the challenge that you have taken part in, you can then nominate your friends to take part with you by tagging them in your story post using the mention feature. It appears under your challenge title as ‘I nominate @’.
Being tagged in a challenge allows you to share this post on your own story. This allows you to accept the nomination and share your own contribution to the challenge, to decline it, or to make a comment on it. You cannot currently create your own new challenge if you are nominated.
If you are completing a challenge after being nominated by someone else, you can also tag them so that they are made aware of your contribution.
Things to remember:
Whilst these challenges can be used positively, there is the potential for them to be misused. You may feel pressured into taking part in something, or feel judged for how you to decide to contribute, or for not contributing at all.
- Remember that challenges are voluntary, and that you should never make someone feel like they have to take part in a challenge, or feel pressured into taking part yourself.
- Keep it positive – when you see something you enjoy or that inspires you, why not make a supportive comment? Don’t make negative comments about how someone decides to complete a challenge, or if they decide not to do the challenge.
- Report inappropriate challenges. If you see a post that you think shouldn’t be on Instagram you can report it to Instagram.
- Speak to someone you trust. Speak to a parent or teacher if you are upset or concerned about any challenges that you see. You can also contact Childline.